A job search is an instance where a job seeker actively contacts a potential employer to apply for a paid job. Applying for jobs can happen over the phone, in person, by submitting a written or online application, or by attending a job interview[i]. The Australian government recommends job seekers apply for 20 jobs a month- one job for each working of the week (but, we’d understand if you took the weekend off!).
Finding a job can seem like a whoooole lotta work.
Next Step After Care want to share some secret job hunting tips with you!
1. Set aside 30 minutes to look for jobs a day.
2. Go to ‘www.seek.com.au’
3. Register and create Seek account, or sign-in. When you register you can see what jobs you’ve already applied for or save jobs you want to apply for later. You’ll be able to keep better track of your search!
4. Change the salary drop-box from $200k to $30k. Hey, we’ve all got to start somewhere, right? Looking for casual, part-time, and full-time work all at the same time increases your chance of getting a job. Once you have a job, you can be a bit pickier about your next one, because it is easier to find a job if you’re already in the workforce.
5. Change the location to from ‘All Australia’ to ‘QLD’ (you beauty), then pick YOUR area.
6. Leave the ‘keywords’ and ‘classification’ sections blank. If you have an open mind, a ton of jobs you’d consider will appear. You’ll have more choice, more jobs to apply for, and more chance of getting hired!
A MILLION different jobs in a ton of fields will come up if you follow these steps. Oftentimes, companies are looking to employ Junior’s, so they can train someone up. Your wages will be a tiny bit lower than you might expect, but your foot will be through the door! Think of it as payment for a training course.
7. Read through your job list and submit your resume! If you’re not confident with your resume, you can call Next Step After Care for resume writing help. Remember that there can be over 100 people who apply for the same job as you, so make sure your resume and cover letter stand out. Don’t be afraid to try something different!
8. Don’t have any interview clothes? No worries! There’s an amazing organisation called ‘Dress for Success’. If you call Next Step After Care, they can refer you! Professional clothes for dudes and dudettes! You can check out their Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/dressforsuccessbrisbane
Unfortunately, jobs do get snapped up quickly. So, it’s a good idea to do 30 minutes a day, to make sure you don’t miss any good jobs. It might sound like a long time, but 30 minutes is the length of a Simpsons episode – and we all know they finish too quick!